Freddy Frog Factfile
Good at: hopping and phonics
Could be better at : riding a bike
Likes: Balgreen school pond
Dislikes: bad phonemes and flapjack with no flies in it
Favourite food: flies
Scared of : witches looking for spell ingredients
Ambition: to help Balgreen pupils and parents with reading and spelling
What Does Freddy Do?
Freddy comes to P3 and P4 to teach us new things about words.
1.We know there are lots of sounds in English.
2.We now call them ‘phonemes’.
3. Freddy helps us to work in ‘perfect partners’ to say ‘PURE Phonemes’, not like they learned in the old days!
We are usually FAAAAANTASTIC!
4. When we write ‘phonemes’ they turn into ‘graphemes’. It sounds really hard but actually, we can handle it.
5. We can even show you special ‘grapheme marks’ and we’re getting pretty good at it!
Here are our new skills for reading and spelling;
- finger spelling (squeeze those fingers!)
- finger writing (really really small letters)
- being perfect partners for our speed sounds (‘try again partner’)
- Fred Talk (He can only talk in sounds so we call out the word)
- Fred in your Head (WE have to sound out the phonemes THEN call out the word! e.g. sh ou t = shout!)
- Hold a sentence (to help train our memories)
- Using a colour ruler to help pick the right spelling pattern (ai, ai ,ai is grey..ey..ey)
- grapheme marks (dot for single sound and a line or arc for others)
OUR FAVOURITE PHONEME IS OO! Can you tell why?
You are Fantastic Freddy!
Parents and carers can find out more about Freddy’s work on the Read Write Inc website.